- This is a Pillsbury recipe. I made a couple of adjustments to the measurements, reflected in the amounts below. The glaze was the perfect finishing touch. Makes 2 loaves.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel (or 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or pineapple extract (vanilla works, too)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained, reserving 3 tablespoons liquid
- 1/2 cup grantulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons reserved pineapple liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8x4 or 9x5-inch loaf pans. In large bowl, cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, buttermilk, lemon peel and lemon extract; mix until smooth. Stir in pecans and pineapple. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake at 350°F. for 50 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. In small bowl, blend all glaze ingredients; spoon over hot breads. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.
Check out some other great pineapple recipes on Food on Friday: Pineapple.