Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grilled Shrimp and Roasted Pear Salad

I had the best salad EVER at the Metro Deli in Chicago's Union Station while waiting for our train. It was very much like this one, which I found here and in several other places around the Internet. It seems like everyone has posted the same recipe, so I don't really know where it originated online. 
16 jumbo (U/15) shrimp
2 whole fresh pears of your choice, cut in 1/2 (core and stem removed)
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 oz dried cranberries
2 oz candied cashews
12 oz mixed baby greens 
5 oz balsamic vinaigrette
1/2 Tbs pure maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 oz croutons made with cinnamon and raisin bread

Directions
1. Mix 1 ounce balsamic vinegar with Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon oil and coat shrimp. Season with salt and pepper, grill 1 1/2 minutes per side until done, then keep warm.
2. Toss pears with remaining oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in 450° F oven for 14 minutes and allow to cool.
3. Mix remaining balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a medium sized bowl and toss in mixed greens and gently coat, add croutons, cranberries and cashews.
4. To serve: Divide greens onto 4 plates, arrange 4 grilled shrimp per plate and top with a sliced roasted pear half and serve.
My note: Add some gorgonzola, crumbled

1 comment:

Ms. Becky said...

I clicked on the link and I'm happy I did. I'm trying this one. didn't know you had a recipe blog too!!!