Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Date Nut Bread

My mother used to make date bread around Christmas time. It was wonderfully moist and dark and so good when spread with cream cheese. This version comes from my old edition of the Boston Globe Cook Book, which was given to me by my brother-in-law Warren, a printer for the Globe for many, many years.

1 (6 - 1/2 oz.) pkg. dates
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg
4 tbl. softened butter
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts

Cut up dates, add baking soda and boiling water. Set aside to cool.

Add sugar, egg, and butter to cooled date mixture; beat well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Bake in a greased loaf pan for 55-60 minutes at 350°. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Note: I have been finding that these quick fruit and nut breads slice more easily the day after baking, although it's hard to wait that long!

No comments: