Monday, June 22, 2009

Egg-Masa Tortillas

The original version of this recipe came from my old Sunset Mexican Cook Book. Mine is from 1974, much older than the edition that this link will take you to.

These are crepe-like, delicate, and very delicious--perfect for making enchiladas. For years I had no idea what Masa Harina was, or where I would find it even if I knew, so I just blithely substituted regular flour and a bit of cornmeal and we loved the results. Now that Masa Harina is as available as white flour, I'll have to try the real stuff in this recipe some time, as I always have it on hand in these enlightened times.

2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tbl. melted shortening
1/2 cup Masa Harina (dehydrated masa flour)
2 tbl. regular all purpose white flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat together the eggs, milk, shortening, masa, white flour, and salt to make a smooth batter.

Dip a spoonful of batter onto a greased hot griddle, swirling the batter to round out the cake to a 5 or 6 inch diameter. Bake lightly on each side.

Makes 10 tortillas.

No comments: