Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Whole Chicken in a Bag

I can't recall whether mom actually made this once, or whether I watched it in an episode on TV, or whether I read it in the cookbook as a child, but when I saw this recipe again in The Frugal Gourmet, by Jeff Smith, a vague memory sparked to life. In the memory, my younger self was thinking, "Chicken... cooked in a paper bag... what a wonderful idea!" And this vague memory sparked to life because of the deja vous I experienced when my older self had the exact same thought. And, really folks, what doesn't sound better than chicken cooked in a paper bag?

--2 tbsp Olive Oil
--2 cloves Garlic, Crushed
--1 tsp Whole Thyme
--Juice of Half a Lemon
--Salt and Black Pepper to taste (Kosher Salt or Sea Salt sounds good to me)
--1 Whole Chicken, about 3 pounds
--Parchment Paper
--Paper Bag, lunch sack sized
--Aluminum Foil

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a dressing of oil, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice. Rub the bird with this dressing and season with salt and pepper. Tear off an 18-inch long piece of parchment paper and carefully wrap up the chicken. Place the bundle in the paper bag, then wrap in aluminum foil. Place the bundle on a rack in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to make this for my sons. They called it "Paper Chicken".