Monday, June 22, 2009

Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding

Mom says that she was never satisfied with any of the rice pudding recipes that she made when I was growing up. I remember her complaining that this particular recipe never turned out right, but I just figured that was because we treated it as a convenient "round 2" for left-over rice, tossed it in a dish and zapped it in the microwave. But I certainly don't remember her using brandy... Whether she liked it or not, I still enjoyed her rice pudding. This recipe comes from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American, by Jeff Smith, but it supposedly originates from Thomas Jefferson.

--1 1/2 cups Milk
--Pinch of Salt
--5 tbsp Sugar
--1 tbsp Butter, melted
--1 tsp Vanilla
--5 Eggs, beaten
--1/4 cup Brandy
--2 cups Cooked Long-Grain Rice
--1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
--Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix milk, salt, sugar, vanilla, butter, eggs, and brandy. Add the rice and lemon juice, mix and pour into a greased 8x10 baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 50 minutes, or until lightly brown and the custard has set. Test with a table knife, sticking it in the center of the dish. If the knife comes out clean, the dish is baked. Top with a little milk or maple syrup.
--

1 comment:

clairz said...

Ben has some odd rice memories. When he was a child, he believed that his father and I had gotten divorced because I had made steamed rice that ended up sticky just one time too many.

Ever since, at age four, he revealed this theory during a company supper we've called steamed rice that didn't turn out particularly well "divorce rice."

I remember nothing about ever making rice pudding when he was a child, possibly because I had once eaten a raisin stem in a pudding my own mom had made. Yuck! That pretty much finished my relationship with rice pudding until Beez started making his delicious version a few years ago: http://recipesforben.blogspot.com/2009/01/dads-rice-pudding.html.