Monday, July 27, 2009

Dark and Stormy

Not all of NYC college life consisted of bar-hopping just to get bombed. Some of it was quite educational, feeding the palate and the mind. My good buddy Colin and I used to frequent a Houston Street bar named Botanica, a mellow and unpretentious room filled with mismatched sofas that would best be described as a "dive-lounge". The weekend scene was annoying college craziness, but we'd go on Wednesday nights when the be-fezzed DJ Small Change was spinning soul and R&B, opening up my musical mind. Small Change introduced me to Stevie Wonder's "Livin' For the City" and Botanica Bar introduced me to my first absolutely delicious mixed cocktail, the Dark and Stormy.

Online, the recipes for the Dark and Stormy all tell you to pour 2 ounces Goslings Dark Rum and 5 ounces of Ginger Beer over ice, shake, and garnish with a lime wedge.

Botanica makes it that way now, but back in the day they mixed 1 ounce Dark Rum, 1 ounce Light Rum, 1 tiny slop of Bacardi 151 Rum, 2 ounces of Ginger Juice (I guess they juiced their own), 4 ounces of Ginger Ale, and a squeeze of Lime Juice. Shake, serve over Ice and garnish with a Lime Wedge.

No comments: