Sopaipillas De Levadura (Yeast Puffed Bread)
Yield: 4 dozen medium sopaipillas
Total Frying Time: 15-20 minutes
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/4 cups scalded milk, cooled
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbl. sugar
1 tbl. shortening
Additional shortening for frying
1. Dissolve yeast in water and add to milk.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cut in shortening.
3. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add liquid to dry ingredients and work into a dough.
4. Knead dough for 10 minutes, or until smooth; cover, and set aside.
5. Heat 2 inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
6. Roll dough to a 1/8 ingh thickness on a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 4-inch squares and fry until golden on both sides, turning once. (If the shortening is sufficiently hot, the sopaipillas will puff and become hollow shortly after being placed in the shortening).
7. Drain sopaipillas on absorbent towels.
Serve with honey, either with the meal or after.
You can also dust these with sugar and cinnamon for dessert.