Monday, July 13, 2009

Garlic-Roasted New Potato Salad

In those early days of college cooking, I used my kitchenette frequently. Most often, I used it as a place to stack cereal bowls and chill beer, but occasionally I'd throw a small dinner party. I was playing around with my fancy new cookbook, The Dean & DeLuca Cookbook, by David Rosengarten with Joel Dean and Giorgio DeLuca, cooking from it often. Here's an example of an early dinner effort. Look at this recipe (in all it's garlicky glory). Can you taste how much I missed food with flavor? How much I needed to burn the cafeteria blandness from my mouth? How much I missed my mom's home cooking? Actually... If I recall correctly, I overdid it a little, counting out the "flavor cloves" a tad too liberally, and knocking my roommates on their asses. Since, I have modified this recipe a little:

--1 1/2 lbs Small New Potatoes, quartered
--2 tbsp Olive Oil
--1 tsp Dried Rosemary (Ben sez: Get Fresh Rosemary!)
--6 cloves Garlic, plus 2 cloves Garlic (separated), all minced fine
--1-2 tsp Kosher Salt
--1 tsp Fresh-Ground Black Pepper
--1/2 cup Mayonnaise
--3 tbsp Fresh Parsley, minced fine
--1 Lemon, halved

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. On a large roasting pan, toss the potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, the 6 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper. Spread the potatoes in a single layer with the skin sides down. Roast for 45 minutes, shaking pan at minute-25 and minute-40 to make sure they aren't sticking. While the potatoes are baking, mix the mayonnaise with the remaining 2 minced cloves of garlic and parsley. Squeeze the lemon juice into the mix and stir until smooth. Let the dressing sit in the refrigerator while the potatoes finish (to let the flavors mellow). After potatoes are done roasting, let them cool for 15 minutes. Remove them from the roasting pan with a metal spatula, taking care to not break the pieces and place them in a large bowl. Mix with the mayonnaise dressing.

No comments: