Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grilled Flank Steak with Lime and Onions

Ever since I began posting on this blog, I've had two worries in the back of my mind: (1) My recipe box will fill up. (2) I'll run out of recipes I want to post. Now that I've got a recipe-posting rhythm, I'm still very concerned about running out of space in the box, pretty much because my second concern has not been a problem at all. I'm not running out of recipes any time soon. The other day, I remembered a Cuban feast from Food Network's Rachael Ray that Marsha had cooked for me as a welcome-home dinner. As Marsha and I tried to find the recipe, we found a couple others that we'd forgotten about (...not running out of recipes any time soon). Here's part of the Cuban feast:

--2 lbs Flank Steak
--Olive Oil
--2 tbsp Grill Seasoning Blend (i.e. Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
--1 tbsp Cumin
--Zest of 1 Lime
--1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
--1 Lime, cut into wedges (or more lime, if you're like me)

Preheat a grill pan (or a large cast iron skillet) over high heat. In a shallow dish, drizzle enough olive oil over the flank steak to coat (about 2 tablespoons). In your palm, blend the grill seasoning, cumin and lime zest, then rub evenly over the steak. Cook steak in the grill pan for 4 minutes, then turn over and cook 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set aside to let the juices redistribute. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet on high heat. Add the sliced onion and sear, but do not keep on heat too long. The onions should still have some bite to them. Cut the steak across the grain into thin slices and spread out on a serving platter. Squeeze lime juice over them and top with the onions.

No comments: