Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spicy Beer-Battered Fish Tacos

Of all my experiments in the kitchen, this recipe has benefited from the most disasters. Once, I spilled salt into the mix. Another time, I spilled cayenne pepper. I tried using corn meal once, but that may have been the time I spilled the salt. Oil too hot; Oil too cold. Each time, I just kept trucking along, churning out one culinary horror after another. In the end, I stopped messing around and simplified. Of course, I might mess up remembering the recipe (don't trust my measurements)...

--1 to 1/2 lbs Whitefish fillets, cut into small pieces
--Canola Oil
--1 cup White Flour
--1/2 tsp Salt
--1 tsp Fresh-Ground Black Pepper
--1/2 to 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
--1 bottle Dark Beer (I liked using a thick Stout)

Mix flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl for dredging. In another bowl, pour the beer. You may not need the whole bottle, so take a sip! Dip the pieces of fish into the beer, then dredge them in the flour. Dip in the beer again, then dredge in the flour one more time. Pile up your battered fish on a plate to prepare for frying. Heat a frying pan on high and pour in a lot of oil (I'd deep-fry the fish if I had the equipment). Remember that if you heat the oil to hot enough, the batter will cook almost instantly and the food won't absorb all that bad oil. Carefully place the fish into the hot oil and fry until it's golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Recommended: Serve on lightly pan-heated corn tortillas with a squeeze of lime juice, piled with mild cheddar cheese, sour cream, and a salady mixture of chopped tomatoes, avocado, salt, black pepper and a little bit of olive oil. Sometimes I like sliced radishes on the side.

No comments: