Friday, May 8, 2009

Mezcal Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

BBQ, Part 2: The Sauce

I absolutely love the idea of making my own BBQ Sauce. There's a world of secret ingredients out there to use. I once spent 6 hours making a sauce that consisted almost entirely of molasses and Habenero Chile Peppers. I say "almost entirely" because I can't tell you the rest. It's a secret. I'm still trying to get Andy May to spill the beans on his latest "Perfect BBQ Sauce" recipe, to no avail. This one comes from Born To Grill by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

--2 tbsp Bacon Drippings (or Butter, if you are weak-willed)
--1 medium Onion, chopped
--2 cups Ketchup
--1 cup Mezcal Tequila (plus 2 tbsp to reserve)
--1 cup Water
--1/4 cup Canned Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce (or any whole Chiles), minced
--1/4 cup Orange Juice
--3 tbsp Molasses
--2 tbsp Dry Mustard
--2 tsp Chile Powder
--1/2 tsp Kosher Salt

Combine ingredients and simmer 20-25 minutes. Just before removing from heat, add the last 2 tablespoons of Mezcal. Store until you're ready to brush onto some meat!

No comments: