- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
Preparation:Toss cranberries with 1/4 cup of sugar in a bowl; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until just moistened. Gently fold in nuts and orange peel and cranberries. Fill paper-lined muffin tins two thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes about 18 muffins.