Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Portuguese Sweet Bread

Although Ben has requested this recipe, I can't ever remember making it. I do recall that we used to buy fresh loaves from some past grocery store (which I also can't remember). I got this version from Cooks.com. This bread makes a wonderful breakfast toast.

2 - 1/2 lb. flour
2 c. sugar
1 - 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 lb. butter, softened
5 large eggs
2 cups lukewarm milk
2 tbl. dry yeast

Beat eggs to lemon color. Add sugar, melted butter and yeast. Mix and add flour alternating with milk. When dough is stiff, knead until it has a satiny sheen. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Knead again, let rise again, place in loaf pan (round is okay too). Do not let dough get chilled. Let rise again and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

BdVdB said...

Mom, I'm pretty sure there may have been a few things that you bought that I thought you made. See: Escargot.