Friday, April 17, 2009

Tom's Red Neck Sauce

About 7 years ago, when I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn, I had a neighbor named Tom. He was an old goat, crass and witty, somehow mysteriously alone in the world. We'd sit in lawn chairs on the side walk and drink cold cans of beer and I'd usually just let him talk and talk. Sometimes we'd just complain about my roommate together. In the "backyard" (one of those oft-neglected forgotten spaces behind the buildings in any given city), he cultivated a large tomato garden. One day in mid-summer, he handed me a jar of this wicked salsa. I loved it so much that he gave me the recipe. In his own words:

--3 large ripe Tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
--1 medium Red Onion
--1 clove of Garlic, peeled and roasted
--1/2 tsp Salt
--1/4 tsp Pepper
--1/2 tsp Cumin
--1/2 tsp Oregano
--2 Scotch Bonnet Habenero Peppers
--1/2 cup Vinegar

Chop or Blend.


His recipe was no more specific than that (I would recommend removing the seeds and membranes from the Habenero Chile Pepper though...) Sadly, I've lost touch with Tom. I hope he's well.

No comments: