Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tomoe Bean Sprouts

For 10 years I've observed the ever-present line outside the tiny Tomoe Sushi in Greenwich Village, NYC. I'd always heard that it serves some of the best sushi in New York, but could never bring myself to stand in line (impatient New Yorker that I am). Last fall, my friend Jessi and I passed by the restaurant on a slow night and stepped inside for dinner. Now we'll happily wait in a very long line to eat there.

After seating you, the waiter brings a hot rolled-up towel for your hands and a tiny plate. Here is my version of what's on the plate (a larger portion, of course):

--2 cups of fresh bean sprouts, well rinsed and shaken dry
--4 tbsp rice vinegar
--1 tbsp light soy sauce
--1 tsp sesame oil
--1 tbsp fine sugar

Poach the bean sprouts for 1 minute by putting them in rapidly boiling water. Strain and rinse with cold water. Drain well.

Whisk rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar together. Toss mixture with the bean sprouts and serve.

1 comment:

BdVdB said...

I changed up the recipe a little after making this the other night. I added an instruction to boil the bean sprouts for a short amount of time.