Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wilted Spinach with Butter and Wine

Eating spinach is like a duty. I see it in the store and my sense of responsibility lets out a little groan. Not that I hate spinach. Far from it, in fact. I just prefer it raw or in a salad. But I'm not sold on what happens to spinach when you cook it. Even when looking at this recipe, I let out an instinctual shudder. Then, I remember that this recipe makes cooked spinach not only bearable, but tasty.

--3 tbsp Butter, cut into small pieces
--1 1/2 lbs Spinach, triple-washed and chopped coarsely with the tough stems removed
--2 cloves Garlic, smashed
--Salt (I recommend Kosher or Sea Salt)
--1/2 cup Dry White Wine
--Fresh-ground Pepper

Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Mix the garlic and two pinches of salt with the flat side of a knife to make a paste. Add butter to the skillet. When it has melted, add the garlic paste. Add the spinach a little at a time so that it all fits in the pan as it wilts. When all of the spinach has wilted, add the wine and coat the spinach in it. Cook for about 2 minutes until the wine has cooked down and the alcohol has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: